Friday, August 1, 2008

BACK TO BASICS

447 Signatures - Sign the X Files 3 Petition

To prove how un dorkish I am on this whole subject, I've noticed on the petition and various other blogs that people are talking about alien invasions in 2012? They think this would make good subject for another X Files movie.
First, I have no idea where this 2012 stuff is coming from. I didn't watch the last three seasons of the X Files, so if it came from there I wouldn't have a clue. Maybe somebody can enlighthen me as to whats that all about.
Secondly, I quite like the idea that the X Files avoids the alien jargon for a while. The only reason I would suggest bringing that back into the story is if they were going to begin all over again. Do people really need answers to the questions the series posed in the final years when lets be honest, many people turned off as the shows quality dipped dramatically?
I remember arguing with people when I was very young about the X Files. They were frustrated by the fact that the shows concluded open ended. That was the whole point of the show in those days. The show forced you to think, to use your imagination. It was one of the main reasons the show sparked the imagination of so many.
I see no reason why the X Files has to continue as a soap opera. Remember the first few series of the X Files, when it was in its prime? Each episode was stand alone. Aliens only made up about a quarter (or a third) of each series. It was precisely the fact that the series became soap opera-ish in latter years that so many were alienated (no pun intended.)
So while I don't want to go against the ultra fans who will be important in any future the X Files may have, I do wish they'd consider what made the X Files great in the early years.
Sorry for the rambling rambles:-)

1 comment:

Blue Devil Knight said...

The final episode, The Truth, we find that the colonists plan to invade on December 22, 2012. The third movie should deal with this mythology!

You really should watch the alien arc from the last few seasons. They are great.